TV Contest Rules
The contest is open to KNPA members in good standing. A member in good standing is someone who has paid his/her dues and lives in Kentucky or works for a Kentucky-based news organization. The membership fee is $100 (Click HERE to pay now) but this includes the contest fee and all seminar entry fees. You must be a member before the contest judging begins.
All entries must be received no later than 11:59 p.m., January 21, 2018
The contest chair will e-mail you a Dropbox request link. The link will allow you to upload all of your entries to a private folder that is only accessible by you and the contest chair. You do not need to have a Dropbox account nor Dropbox software installed to upload your entries.
The preferred video format is MPEG-4/H.264 with a .m4v or .mp4 extension. MPEG-2 and some other encoded entries will also be accepted. A maximum of 10 Mbps data rate is suggested. *If you are uploading from a slower broadband connection, an even lower data rate and/or SD resolution may be necessary to keep your uploads from taking a very long time to complete.
Entries are preferred as individual video files labeled with the entry title and category as their filename. A single composite file is also allowed. In the case of a composite file, a slate must be placed at the beginning of each entry identifying the entry name and category.
Contact the contest chair with any questions or concerns at the above e-mail address.
There are thirteen (13) individual categories and one (1) team category. Entries must have aired between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017. Each entrant must have shot at least 90% of the entry. An entry in the team category must have been shot by a minimum of two photographers.There is no penalty for the use of file or historic video as part of a story in the team category. A maximum of one (1) entry per category per photographer is allowed. Double dipping, or submitting the same story in multiple categories, is not allowed under any circumstances. This now includes the Multimedia Journalist Composite category.
View the TV Contest Categories by clicking HERE
Judges will choose a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and honorable mention in each category.
Points will be awarded for each winning entry.
Point values will be:
1st Place = 11
2nd place = 8
3rd place = 5
Honorable Mention = 3
Judges are not required to watch the whole story if they deem it uncompetitive after one (1) minute. The decision of the judges is final.
The following awards will be given out for this year’s KNPA contest:
Best of Show
– This will be awarded to a single story based on criteria the judges will choose.
KNPA Television POY
– This will be awarded to the photographer who accumulates the most points in every category (except the team category) in the contest. They will receive a plaque. If there is a tie, the person that received the most 1st place awards will win. If there is still a tie, the person who has won the most categories shall be declared the winner. If there is still a tie each of the winning photographers shall receive the title of “Co-KNPA Television News POY.”
Runner-up KNPA Television News POY
– This will be awarded to the photographer who accumulates the second highest points in every category (except the team category) in the contest.
Multimedia Journalist of the Year
– This will be awarded to the MMJ who accumulates the most points in every category (except the team category) in the contest for eligible stories. In order for an entry to be eligible for points towards this award the MMJ must have shot, written, edited, and voice tracked said entry. The MMJ needs to attest to this by checking the box on the entry form next to each entry that qualifies.
– This will be awarded to the photographer who accumulates the most points in the three sports categories in the contest.
KNPA Station of the Year
– This will be awarded to any KNPA Member TV Station that accumulates the most points from stories that appeared on their programming. This includes all of the categories in the contest.